META Intellectual Property, Patents and Trademarks
At META, we develop and own different types of Intellectual Property. We currently have a total of 76 granted and 64 pending patent applications, including 33 in the U.S. and 107 in 21 other countries around the world. META’s portfolio comprises 44 patent families, from which 28 are granted. These patent families include but are not limited to: large-area holographic filtering, scanning holography, light capture for solar panels, large-area nanopatterning, near-field lithography, plasmonic lithography, transparent metal meshes, lens casting technologies, radio wave imaging, non-invasive glucose sensing, and magnetic resonance imaging.
These patent families consist of different types:
- Design patents, that detail the structure of metamaterial and other functional surfaces to manipulate light, electricity and radio waves.
- Application patents, that explain how our designed structures can address real world problems. These patents cover a wide range of applications, from filtering light, medical sensing, wireless communications, to solar panels, advanced displays, and efficient heat transfer.
- Manufacturing and process patents, that describe the basic processes on how these functional structures are manufactured.
We have also built a large body of manufacturing know-how: optimized recipes, custom tools and efficient algorithms on scaling up and producing such structures at high volume and low cost.
We collaborate with universities and other companies to develop joint IP or license already developed IP that requires commercialization.
Finally, we own registered trademarks, which protect our products and services in different markets worldwide. These currently are:
- metaAIR® and metaVISOR® (laser filtering products)
- NANOWEB® (transparent metal mesh)
- RML® (Rolling Mask Lithography – large surface area nanopatterning technique)
- glucoWISE® (non-invasive glucose sensing)
Features of our Intellectual Property
We develop our IP guided by four core principles:
- IP that is unique. We have developed custom processes and intricate know-how that does not exist in the market and is not easily copied.
- IP that can be quickly prototyped. META’s team have backgrounds in advanced optical design and modelling, combined with quick prototyping and manufacturing know-how that remain trade secrets.
- IP that is relevant and commercially viable. We focus on real-world applications, not on academic explorations just for the sake of making proof of concepts.
- IP that is well-protected. We started patenting ideas in 2008, and have invested multi-million-dollars to design, setup and acquire specialized equipment and capabilities.